personal views on movies... and some other things

Movies of the week

With all the celebrations and the end of holidays this was a really slow week in movie-watching. I had the time to watch only three films and none of them was new. However, only one was a rewatch. So here we go.



AVATAR 

This was the re-watch. After more than a year, I finally saw Avatar for the second time and it was the first time I saw it in 2D. I have to admit that I had been too harsh the first time. Maybe it's because of my repulsion for 3D but the first time I couldn't get into the story and the characters. This time I really enjoyed the film and I managed to accept all the philosophical points Cameron wanted to make. It still reminds me of an alien pocahontas but this doesn't mean that it's not an epic scaled film that has made a difference.


The Jane Austen Book Club  

I saw this film out of curiosity and because of the fact that I have read every single book Austen has written, so as a fan of Jane Austen's books, I wanted to see a movie that'd be a tribute to the writter. The problem is that Austen is linked to stories that have a dream-like romantic element in them. And placing the story in the 00's just takes away that element. This doesn't mean though that the stories aren't realistic enough. I know many people who can say that they had a similar experience with one or two of the film's storylines. I felt close with one of the characters too. However, when the film ends, you feel like you wanted something more, like the story hasn't come to an end yet. And that is something that you never feel with a Jane Austen book or movie. 

3:10 To Yuma 
I have a love for westerns. However I need to be in the right mood in order to watch one. (The same goes with World War II movies). I had never seen this film despite my love and admiration for both Christian Bale and Russell Crowe. And boy, was I in for a treat. It was such a good movie with the right pace that allowed you to feel for the characters and follow them during this Wild West road movie that 3:10 To Yuma is. Even if some moments felt like they were slower than others, suddenly something would happen to engage you again. And if it wasn't for a, good for the story but really hard to accept logically, reaction of Crowe's character near the end, this would be a flawless film. Oh, and it was totally robbed for performance awards. Every single actor (including  Ben Foster who seems to shine in every movie I've seen him and the young Logan Lerman) did a tremendous job.




Share on Google Plus

0 σχόλια :

Post a Comment