personal views on movies... and some other things

Favourite films of 2010

Just a few days before the Oscar Awards and after I've finally watched all the big films of 2010, it's time to make my own list of the favourites of the year. And there are a few surprises in this list for sure.

10. Buried
This is a film that when I first saw it, I would never imagine that it would belong in my top 10 of the year. And certainly, I wouldn't think that it would steal the spot from Danny Boyle's "127 Hours". But honestly, only one of these films would get in my top 10. The reason why Buried won me over is the tremendous ending. It had me screaming to the screan at the time, but sincerely it is an ending that haunts me up to now.





9. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Ok, I am from Europe and I happen to like european cinema. It is just that these films are so different than the ones produced in Hollywood. They have a different feeling. They might be slower but they give you the time to adjust and become part of the story. The first film of this trilogy was a masterpiece. It might have had some hardcore scenes which weren't particularly fun to watch (especially with my mother on my side) but it was, indeed, like reading a book and wanting to flip through the pages to find out what happens next. Michael Nyqvist and Noomi Rapace were perfect in the parts of the journalist and the title's girl, respectively and the story was so captivating that when the film finished it felt like you were in a different world. Great film. And may I add that the american remake is completely unnecessary even though so many big names are involved.


8. Agora
If you visit imdb.com you might get confused because it lists Agora as a 2009 film. However it was released in 2010 in both Greece and the USA (and in a whole list of other countries) so I place it in this year's list. I really enjoyed this film even though I have seen it in only two top ten lists and it has been forgotten by most. I found it original and serious and Alejandro Amenábar treated the subject of religion vs science vs the insignificance of the human kind compared to the whole universe so beautifully that had me at once.

7. The King's Speech
This, naturally, wouldn't be in my top 10. The two things that really make it stand out are 1st, the beautiful performances, especially Colin Firth's .(Even though I find nothing really spectacular in Helena Bonham-Carter's performance. I believe she has done greater things before.) 2nd, the really original direction. Tom Hooper managed to take a by-all-means dull script and make it a spectacular movie about choices, fear of responsibility, abscence of self-confidence and friendship. That might not make it a Best Movie of the Year (even though it will probably take the Oscar on sunday night) but it certainly does make it a really enjoyable film.

6. How to train your dragon
Wow. When I first rented the dvd I didn't think that this would be in my favourite films list. But here it is. It is a really well made animated feature with an original story and two really amiable characters, and if it wasn't for the giant sequel called "Toy Story 3", made by the giant studio called "Pixar" this would be a lock during the awards season.


5. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1

I have seen this film in only two lists of "Best 2010 movies". It might not be the best movie of 2010 in anyway. This title belongs to another film. But personally (and seeing as I am one of the most huge Harry Potter fans) I believe that's one of my favourites. Yes, I know it was a little bit long in the middle and it didn't have much to offer to casual viewers of the films and non-fans but this doesn't mean that it wasn't a film which didn't respect the first material on which it was based. It was a nearly perfect adaptation and a film with the right feeling which started to give the proper ending to one of the hugest franchises in movie history. And that is saying something.
4.Toy Story 3
I was just 8 years old when the first film came out. I remember that I watched Toy Story in a summer cinema (there are many of those in Greece... without a ceiling, with plastic chairs and gravel on the floor.. just perfect for a warm movie night during the summer months) with my oldest and best friend. I watched the third film in a multiplex but with the same friend sitting next to me. I guess it was a full circle. That's what this movie is about. It's not about making the best animated film of all time but it's about telling a touching and really moving story (I litterally bawled my eyes out during the final scene) about some characters that were there many years before but they still live inside our hearts. It is about best friends. Pixar, you do it every-freaking-time!

3. The Fighter
When I had first heard of Christian Bale and Mark Wahlberg's collaboration I was instantly excited. I, for once, am a huge Balehead (which means a total Christian Bale fan) and used to be a Mark Wahlberg fan during my teen years (I just liked the guy, ok?). This phase has passed and I know what everyone is saying about his talent but he has done a good job in some films which has really saved him in my eyes. When I heard of the movie's plot, I thought: "Really? Do we need another movie about boxing? Weren't Rocky I-VI, Raging Bull, Million Dollar Baby and so many more, enough?" But truth be told, this was so original, so fun, so different than the others that made it climb on my number 3. What can I say? The performances? Christian Bale was breathtaking in every single scene and Melissa Leo was magnificent. The direction? David O. Russell, I might not like you as a person but you really got this story. The Fighter could easily be my number 1 movie of the year if 2 other films weren't so close to my heart.


2. Black Swan
Ballet. Aronofsky. Clint Mansell. Tsaikovski. Four beloved things in one movie. I was predisposed to love this movie from the first moment it was announced. I got goosebumbs the first time I saw the trailer. And then I watched the film. It might be crazy and psychotic, it might not make sense all the time but I love it. Natalie Portman is a goddess. I mean I always like her but after this film, consider me a fan. She really nailed this part. As for the film, I always like Aronofsky's symbolic touches and this one (like the fountain) has many interpretations even many days after you've seen it.

1. Inception
Finally, we come to number one which has continuously been rejected during the awards season and I don't understand why. Inception blew me away. I watched it two times in a movie theater, I even bought the dvd. Christopher Nolan has the ability to create a really daunting atmosphere with a really dense script and a beautiful score. Very rarely I watch a film that really affects me or I know, after I've seen it, that I've seen something special. This is one of those films.

Honorary Mentions
You might be surprised that The Social Network, The Kids are All Right and True Grit are not in my list but honestly I wasn't fully impressed. The Social Network was a really good film and Fincher is one of my most beloved directors but something's missing. I believe that Fincher has made much much greater films in the past and this wasn't his best. The Kids are All Right was a  realistic film with nice performances, I just didn't get attached to the characters. Nothing could touch me like Portman's performance. As for True Grit, it really was a good film and I'm into westerns, don't get me wrong, but this didn't do it for me. If felt too slow, too silly, I don't know. Anyhow, I don't believe that a remake could easily be the Academy's first choice. But we've seen worse, anyway.
Share on Google Plus

0 σχόλια :

Post a Comment