personal views on movies... and some other things

AIFF 2013: Frances Ha



Noah Baumbach's optimistic and light-hearted Frances Ha was the film that opened the 19th Athens International Film Festival this Wednesday.
Frances (Greta Gerwig) is a 27-year-old woman who lives in New York - even though she doesn't have an apartment, aspires to be a dancer - even though she can't dance and tries to live her life to the fullest - even though she doesn't know where she's heading.
It might be a very happy film, stepping on the trails of some older Woody Allen New York-based films, but if you are close to Frances' age it hits too close to home.
It is easy to see yourself while watching this black-n-white film even if you're not in New York and even if your life's passion isn't dancing. The movie asks all the questions that 20-somethings ask themselves every day: What am I supposed to do with my life? Why did I go to college? Why am I still single? What am I looking for in a relationship? Why do the others move forward and I still haven't found out what I'll do to provide for myself? Am I happy? Are my friends happy? Are we making the right choices?

If Frances Ha gives the answers or not, is something that you'll have to see for yourself but sometimes the answer is right there looking directly at you from across the room, during a party, like you are the only beings in this world. 





Share on Google Plus

0 ĻƒĻ‡ĻŒĪ»Ī¹Ī± :

Post a Comment